Recipe from the Pennsylvania Nutrition Education Program, Pennsylvania Nutrition Education Network Website Recipes
1 butternut squash (small)
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 onion (small, chopped)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 cans black beans (16 ounces each, rinsed and drained)
1/2 tsp oregano
1. Heat the squash in the microwave on high heat for 1-2 minutes. This will soften the skin.
2. Carefully peel the squash with a vegetable peeler or small knife.
3. Cut the squash into 1/2 inch cubes.
4. Peel and chop the onion.
5. In a large pan, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic powder, and squash.
6. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
7. Add vinegar and water. Cook on low heat until the squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
8. Add the beans and oregano. Cook until the beans are heated through.
Nutrition Facts: Total Fat: 1g., Saturated Fat: 0g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg., Sodium: 270 mg., Total Carbohydrate: 24 g., Dietary Fiber: 7g., Sugars: 3g., Protein: 6 g.