from FAMILY DAY CARE NEWS published by the Illinois Child Care Bureau, November, 1999
1 meaty turkey frame
12 cups water
1 onion, quartered
2 tsp salt
1 (16 oz) can tomatoes
1 TB chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp pepper
4 cups vegetables – any combination (spinach, peas, green beans, carrots, celery, corn)
1 ½ cups uncooked noodles
1. Break turkey frame and place in a large pot with the water, onion and salt. Simmer for 1 ½ hours.
2. Remove and cool turkey frame, cut off meat. Throw away bones.
3. Strain broth, removing solids.
4. Return broth to pot and add the cut up turkey meat, undrained tomatoes (cut-up), bouillon, oregano, thyme, pepper and vegetables.
5. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
6. Add noodles and simmer for 10 more minutes.
Servings: 10 (1 cup servings)
from FAMILY DAY CARE NEWS published by the Illinois Child Care Bureau, May, 2007
1 cup canned pinto beans, drained
1 15 oz can, no-salt added Italian spiced tomatoes
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup of water
1 cup frozen chopped collard greens or spinach
½ cup elbow macaroni
½ tsp Italian herb seasoning
½ tsp garlic powder
Black pepper to taste
- Put the tomatoes and beans in a sauce pan. Mash with a potato masher or hand blender until about ½ of the beans are mashed.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil; reduce to simmer for 10 minutes and serve.
Servings: 12 (2/3 cup serving)
from FAMILY DAY CARE NEWS published by the Illinois Child Care Bureau, January, 2003
2 (10.7 oz) cans condensed tomato soup
2 ½ cups of 1% milk
½ cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pour tomato soup into a large pot.
- Add milk.
- Stir over medium heat until well mixed and heated through.
- Remove from heat and add cheese, stirring until melted.
From the University of Illinois Extension Program
1 medium Golden Delicious apple – cored and thinly sliced
½ cup onions – chopped
1 cup carrots – thinly sliced
1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast – cubed
2 cups cooked brown rice (instant)
2 TB olive oil
1 cup frozen Chinese pea pods
- In a non-stick skillet, stir-fry cubed chicken breast in 1 TB of olive oil until lightly browned. Remove from skillet.
- In the same skillet, stir-fry onion, carrots, and 1 TB olive oil until carrots are tender.
- Stir in pea pods and 1 TB water; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in apples.
- Add to chicken, serve hot over cooked rice.
Recipe provided by Jennifer Newell of Newell Day Care Home
6 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped (6 cups)
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tsp. instant chicken bouillon granules
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded American Cheese
1 – 12oz. can evaporated milk
Crumbled, cooked bacon (optional)
Snipped fresh chives (optional)
In a 3 1/2 or 4 qt. slow cooker, combine potatoes, water, onion, bouillon granules, and pepper.
Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
Stir cheese and milk into mixture in cooker.
Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 1 hour more or on high-heat setting for 30 minutes more.
For a thicker soup, mash potatoes slightly. If you like, sprinkle each serving with bacon and chives.
Makes 4 main-dish or 6 side-dish servings.
For 5- to 6- quart slow cooker: Use 8 medium potatoes, 4 cups water, 3/4 cup chopped onion, 1 tbsp. instant chicken bouillon granules, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 2 cups shredded American Cheese, and 1- 12oz. can evaporated milk. Prepare as directed. Makes 6 main-dish or 8 to 10 side-dish servings.