Recipe provided by Jana Conev
2 cups oatmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
dash of cinnamon or nutmeg
1. Mix oatmeal, buttermilk and 3 eggs.
2. Refrigerate overnight or 1 hour.
3. Add vegetable oil, flour, sugar, baking soda and dash of cinnamon or nutmeg
4. Mix batter
5. Pour batter onto hot griddle. Flip pancakes when the edges appear cooked and the batter bubbles on top.
1/2 cup yogurt (plain, vanilla or fruit-flavored)
1/2 medium banana
1/2 cup strawberries
1/4 cup granola or dry crunchy cereal
1. Peel and slice bananas.
2. Rinse and slice strawberries.
3. Place sliced bananas in 10 oz. cup.
4. Add 3 spoonfuls of yogurt on top of bananas.
5. Add sliced strawberries on top of yogurt.
6. Then add the remainder of yogurt.
7. Sprinkle the top with granola.
Serving size: 1 parfait
4 large eggs
2 TB frozen corn
1 TB milk (1%)
2 TB diced green peppers
1/4 cup of minced onions
1 TB fresh tomatoes – diced
1 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce (optional)
4 flour tortillas (8 inch)
1/4 cup canned salsa
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a large mixing bowl, blend the eggs, corn, milk, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, mustard, garlic, and hot pepper sauce for 1 minute until eggs are smooth.
2. Pour egg mixture into a lightly oiled 9x9x2 inch baking dish and cover with foil.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes until eggs are set and thoroughly cooked.
4. Wrap tortillas in plastic and microwave for 20 seconds until warm. Be careful when unwrapping the tortillas. The steam can be hot.
5. Cut baked egg mixture into 4 equal pieces and roll 1 piece of cooked egg in each tortilla.
6. Serve each burrito topped with 2 tablespoons of salsa.
Serve with fruit and 1% or skim milk to meet breakfast requirement.
From USDA, Food and Nutrition Services