from FAMILY DAY CARE NEWS published by the Illinois Child Care Bureau, April, 1999
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
30 baby carrots, sliced
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups diced, cooked chicken
2 cans (14 ½ oz) chicken broth
½ cup dry orzo (rice shaped pasta)
Black pepper (to taste)
- Heat the vegetable oil in a soup pot and add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook until the celery is crisp-tender, about 2 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add the broth and the chicken. Increase heat, bringing the soup to a boil.
- Add pasta and continue to simmer for 5-10 minutes to combine flavors.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
Servings: 4-5 (1 cup servings)
4 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced like steak fries
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 tsp taco seasoning – 40% less sodium
your choice of seasonings: Salt, pepper, chili powder, cinnamon
Preheat oven to 425.
- In a large mixing bowl drizzle oil over the potatoes. Add taco seasoning mix or your choice of seasonings and toss to coat. Place fries on 2 cookie sheets by evenly spreading the potato slices.
- Bake 10 minutes, turn and bake 10 more minutes. Fries should be soft on the inside and browned on the outside.
16 fries – ¼ cup servings
1 serving = 1 fruit/vegetable alternate for 3-5 yr olds
12 fries – 1/3 cup servings
1 serving = 1 fruit/vegetable alternate for 6-12 yr olds
Recipe from USDA
1-1/4 lbs ground beef
1 large chopped onion
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup catsup
2 TB vinegar
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups cooked kidney beans (16 oz can)
1 can (16 oz) pork and beans
2 cups cooked great northern beans (or 16 oz can) or lima beans or butter beans
1. Cook ground beef and onions; drain fat
2. Add remaining ingredients and mix
3. Place in casserole dish
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes
Recipe from LET’S MOVE, USDA
1 lb. penne (wheat)
1 cup milk (2% or skim)
1 lb. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 head cauliflower florets
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 TB chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
Bring water to boil and cook the pasta until al dente (firm, but not hard). In the meantime, cook the cauliflower until soft and transfer in a blender to puree. In a medium sized pan, transfer the pasta and pour the cauliflower puree in. Add the milk, cheese and season to taste. Sprinkle chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
Serves 4 or more.
1/2 cup yogurt (plain, vanilla or fruit-flavored)
1/2 medium banana
1/2 cup strawberries
1/4 cup granola or dry crunchy cereal
1. Peel and slice bananas.
2. Rinse and slice strawberries.
3. Place sliced bananas in 10 oz. cup.
4. Add 3 spoonfuls of yogurt on top of bananas.
5. Add sliced strawberries on top of yogurt.
6. Then add the remainder of yogurt.
7. Sprinkle the top with granola.
Serving size: 1 parfait