1 lb Chicken, cooked and chopped
¼ cup + 2 TB Celery, chopped
½ cup Mandarin oranges (canned), drained
2 TB Onion, chopped
1 TB Mayonnaise
1/8 tsp Black Pepper
6 Whole Grain Tortillas (6”)
½ cup Lettuce, chopped
1. In a mixing bowl, combine chicken, celery, oranges and onions.
2. Add mayonnaise and pepper. Mix until chicken is coated.
3. Place about 4 tsp of lettuce onto tortilla and top with chicken mix.
4. Roll up and enjoy!
Serving tip: Let kids help make their own by choosing different vegetables and fruits they would like to try and rolling it themselves.
rom FAMILY DAY CARE NEWS published by the Illinois Child Care Bureau, January, 2007
¾ cup of onion, chopped
4 ½ cups of potatoes, peeled and diced
1 TB soft margarine
3 Tbs flour
1 quart skim or 1% milk
- Place onions and potatoes in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Melt margarine in saucepan. Slowly add the milk. Add flour a little at a time stirring constantly until smooth. Heat to thicken.
- Add onions and potatoes to milk mixture and heat to serving temperature.
Servings: 16 (1/2 cup servings)
from FAMILY DAY CARE NEWS published by the Illinois Child Care Bureau, November, 1999
1 meaty turkey frame
12 cups water
1 onion, quartered
2 tsp salt
1 (16 oz) can tomatoes
1 TB chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp pepper
4 cups vegetables – any combination (spinach, peas, green beans, carrots, celery, corn)
1 ½ cups uncooked noodles
1. Break turkey frame and place in a large pot with the water, onion and salt. Simmer for 1 ½ hours.
2. Remove and cool turkey frame, cut off meat. Throw away bones.
3. Strain broth, removing solids.
4. Return broth to pot and add the cut up turkey meat, undrained tomatoes (cut-up), bouillon, oregano, thyme, pepper and vegetables.
5. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
6. Add noodles and simmer for 10 more minutes.
Servings: 10 (1 cup servings)
from FAMILY DAY CARE NEWS published by the Illinois Child Care Bureau, May, 2007
1 cup canned pinto beans, drained
1 15 oz can, no-salt added Italian spiced tomatoes
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup of water
1 cup frozen chopped collard greens or spinach
½ cup elbow macaroni
½ tsp Italian herb seasoning
½ tsp garlic powder
Black pepper to taste
- Put the tomatoes and beans in a sauce pan. Mash with a potato masher or hand blender until about ½ of the beans are mashed.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil; reduce to simmer for 10 minutes and serve.
Servings: 12 (2/3 cup serving)
from FAMILY DAY CARE NEWS published by the Illinois Child Care Bureau, January, 2003
2 (10.7 oz) cans condensed tomato soup
2 ½ cups of 1% milk
½ cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pour tomato soup into a large pot.
- Add milk.
- Stir over medium heat until well mixed and heated through.
- Remove from heat and add cheese, stirring until melted.