1/2 cup yogurt (plain, vanilla or fruit-flavored)
1/2 medium banana
1/2 cup strawberries
1/4 cup granola or dry crunchy cereal
1. Peel and slice bananas.
2. Rinse and slice strawberries.
3. Place sliced bananas in 10 oz. cup.
4. Add 3 spoonfuls of yogurt on top of bananas.
5. Add sliced strawberries on top of yogurt.
6. Then add the remainder of yogurt.
7. Sprinkle the top with granola.
Serving size: 1 parfait
Recipe from the U.S. Highbrush Blueberry Council
1-1/2 cups prepared rice pudding
3 cups fresh blueberries, divided
6 ice cream cones
In a medium bowl, stir the pudding to loosen its consistency, if necessary. Fold in 2 cups of the blueberries. Mound the mixture into the cones. Dot the tops with the remaining blueberries.
Since the ice cream cone and fresh blueberries meets the required components of a snack for 3-5 year olds, you may also try the same measurements of chocolate pudding with fresh strawberries.
Recipe from the National Watermelon Promotion Board
1 watermelon, medium size
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup diced fresh pineapples
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1/4 cup caramel fruit dip
1/4 cup honey roasted almonds
Peel bananas and cut in half lengthwise then cut each piece in half. For each serving, lay 2 banana pieces against sides of a shallow dish. Using an ice cream scooper, place three watermelon “scoops” in between each banana in each dish. Remove seeds if necessary. Top watermelon “scoop” with a different fruit topping. Drizzle caramel fruit dip over all. Sprinkle with almonds.
4 large eggs
2 TB frozen corn
1 TB milk (1%)
2 TB diced green peppers
1/4 cup of minced onions
1 TB fresh tomatoes – diced
1 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce (optional)
4 flour tortillas (8 inch)
1/4 cup canned salsa
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a large mixing bowl, blend the eggs, corn, milk, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, mustard, garlic, and hot pepper sauce for 1 minute until eggs are smooth.
2. Pour egg mixture into a lightly oiled 9x9x2 inch baking dish and cover with foil.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes until eggs are set and thoroughly cooked.
4. Wrap tortillas in plastic and microwave for 20 seconds until warm. Be careful when unwrapping the tortillas. The steam can be hot.
5. Cut baked egg mixture into 4 equal pieces and roll 1 piece of cooked egg in each tortilla.
6. Serve each burrito topped with 2 tablespoons of salsa.
Serve with fruit and 1% or skim milk to meet breakfast requirement.
From USDA, Food and Nutrition Services